Friday, January 25, 2013

American Idol Auditions

I've been watching American Idol for 12 seasons now (yeesh), and every year when I watch the auditions there are contestants that I really like but then forget all about after Hollywood week. So this year I decided I would keep track of them here. I missed the first day of auditions, but here are my favorites from the rest:

From the Chicago auditions:

Mariah Pulice, who described her journey as a recovering anorexic. Yes, it was a typical Idol "sob story," but an emotionally compelling one that I'm sure many in the audience related to. I was really excited that she chose to sing my favorite Beatles' song, Let It Be, which I always find so powerful and moving. As the get judges noted, the strength of her performance was the emotion that came through in her delivery.

Isabell Parell, just 15 years old. When she asked Keith Urban to sing a duet with her, I was a little annoyed, but she was singing Baby It's Cold Outside, and it is a duet. She was actually cute and charming, and what's more, she could sing. Her soulful voice was well-suited to the song and different than that of every other pop-star wannabe out there.

Kiara Lanier. When she said she sang for an Obama fundraiser, I thought she's gotta be good, and she was, managing to pull off Celine Dion's The Prayer with beautiful tone and control. The only thing that annoyed me was how she stuck a billion runs in practically every line, but that seems typical of a lot of today's singers. I can definitely see her in the top 12.

Clifton Duffin, who, according to his story, had never sung in front of anyone before, not even his parents. Well, his parents were in the audience for his audition, when he proved to them and to the world that he can indeed sing. Yeah, I'm a sucker, but it was moving watching his mother's reaction to hearing him for the first time.

Lazaro Arbos, who revealed a severe stutter when he spoke but smoothly delivered a beautiful rendition of the Simon & Garfunkel classic Bridge Over Troubled Water.

From the Charlotte auditions:

Twenty-seven year-old Brian Rittenberg, who also sang Let It Be. Is that gonna be the song of the auditions this season? His rendition was a lot different than Mariah Pulice's, with more soul and rasp. I think I preferred Pulice's version actually, but he wasn't bad.

High school student Isabel Gonzalez, who was nominated by her aunt. She sang a Sam Cooke song, and if I hadn't known, I would not have thought this girl was only 16.

Taisha Bethea,a young black rocker chick who sings in a band. Yes, "black girls can rock," as Randy said. The judges were torn on her but Keith Urban cast the deciding vote and sent her to Hollywood. It could be interesting to see how far she goes in the competition.

Formerly homeless Rodney Barber, who sang Edwin McCain's I'll Be with soul and a lot of dynamic range

Seretha Guinn, who came to the auditions with her (adorable) 3-year-old daughter. I have to say I was a little disturbed when she revealed that her little girl (key word "little") "idolizes" Nicki Minaj. But Seritha was at the auditions to surprise her boyfriend, who had recently been in a serious accident. She sang a jazzy, non-rap version of the Fresh Prince of Bel Air theme song, in addition to a bit of Lee Ann Rhymes' How Do I Live. The former was probably the most unique song choice of the night, but it was the latter  that really showed off the beauty of her voice.

From the Baton Rouge auditions:


Charlie Askew, who described himself as having "always been socially awkward," but said music was his outlet. Socially awkward or not, this kid (17-years-old) was endearing. He sang Breakthrough, a Queen song that I do not actually know, and then Nature Boy, which I do know thanks to the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. I'm totally rooting for him.

Maddie Assell, nominated by her grandmother. Another one of those old-fashioned/soulful voices. She sang a Beatles song (that I was once again unfamiliar with; I need to expand my music horizons), but her voice reminds me of Adele's in some ways. Oh, wait..she just said she was influenced by Adele and Keith replied that he doesn't think she sounds like her or like any other artist. Whatever. I still hear the Adele, and that's not a bad thing.

Paul Jolley, who sang a Rascall Flats song. He was cute, had a really strong voice, and sounded like could do well in a variety of genres beyond just country. Oh, and he was cute ;).


Dustin Watts, a fireman and another country singer who I, like Nicki Minaj, can already see as a star in the genre.

Bernell Taylor,who lived through Hurrican Katrina. He sang a song from The Color Purple and seemed to have an extremely versatile voice: I can hear him doing old-school R & B, gospel, musical theater...

1 comment:

  1. I forgot there was another day of auditions in San Antonio. Don't feel like doing another blog post but I like:

    Victoria Costas (Mariachi singer who sang Fergie and then something in Spanish that the judges liked a lot better. Mariachi is obviously her thing, which is awesome.)

    "Papa Peaches" - describes himself as a black woman trapped in a white boy's body. He's a bit flamboyant, but he can def sing!

    half-Kenyan/half Tanzanian young man who sang an MJ song...

    ReplyDelete