Sunday, May 5, 2013

Nobody Makes Good Music Anymore?

Every now and then I hear this claim, and I have often agreed with it. Today's popular music just doesn't compare to that of previous decades. I mean the 1960s had the Beatles; today we have...Justin Beiber. I enjoy all types of music (yes, including boy bands) and hate music snobbery, but it seemed hard to deny that the music industry has gone downhill and become more about image and less about innovation.

But now that I think of it, I wouldn't say that's entirely true. I mean, last year American Idol, a show arguably about manufacturing and spitting out pop stars, crowned Phillip Phillips, a folksy singer-songwriter type with an unconventional voice reminiscent of Dave Matthew, over runner-up Jessica Sanchez, who had an amazing voice but offered nothing musically unique.

And looking at some of my own current favorite artists and bands...yes, people are still creating good, clever, innovative music. And it's even making the pop charts.

This is of course just my own two cents, but here's what I would argue to be proof:

1)  Fun. 

Since 2011's "We Are Young," every single Fun. has released has been high on the pop charts, almost to the point of overplay. There's good reason, though. Fun's songs are just plain fun (see what I did there...) and catchy, but they don't sound like everything else out there. I like "We Are Young"  and their current hit "Carry On" (which has a very Irish feel), but I think "Some Nights" would have to be my favorite; it's imo their most multi-layered and complex song both musically and lyrically.


2) Mumford and Sons 

Mumford and Sons may have actually succeeded in making banjo music cool. And even if they don't get people to explore their bluegrass and folk influences, they've at least broadened rock music.


3) The Lumineers 

The Lumineers are another band bringing a folksy style to the pop charts. Their 2011 single "Ho Hey" has reached #2 on  the US Top 40 charts and has been featured in commercials for the DVD of the film Silver Linings Playbook. Its a good song, but I absolutely love "Stubborn Love," especially the string sections.




4) Gotye

The ubiquitous "Somebody That I Used to Know" made Belgian-Austrian singer-songwriter Gotye famous, but having seen him live, I have to say he's far more than just a one-hit wonder. Gotye's entire catalog is artsy and innovative in its use of instrumentation.

And here's a music video for a song you probably have not heard before. Both the video and song are very typical of Gotye's style.

  
So there you have it. Pop music still contains true artistry, even if it is harder to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment